St. Johns County Academy of Future Educators
The four-year curriculum, rich with dual enrollment opportunities, embraces a core of exploratory teaching courses which allow students the advantage to begin student teaching while in high school. In addition, the program provides a seamless articulation with and transition to teacher preparation programs in Florida’s University system. Through the academy concept, students are offered small learning communities, college-preparatory curriculum with a career theme, and partnerships with employers and/or mentors.
To offer students a rigorous program of study which promotes a diverse range of teacher training opportunities.
Program of Study
Working hands-on in over ten schools, the St. Johns Academy of Future teachers explores the career of education using service learning, cutting-edge technology, and full year internships. Fostering the next generation of educators, the program focuses on developing student leaders who will be the next caring contributors to the children of the future. Placing academic success at the forefront of the program, qualifying students have the opportunity to earn dual enrollment credit through St. Johns River State College, giving students the potential to graduate high school with an AA degree. This equates to 60 college credit hours and is a savings of over $6,000.
- Qualifying students can begin taking dual enrollment courses the summer after 10th grade and can continue with dual enrollment through graduation.
- Earn up to 60 hours of college credit!
- After graduation, complete your bachelors degree in 2 years!
Business Partners provide opportunities for students to understand the relevance between education and work-based needs. Each year, students are offered opportunities to intern with St. Johns County School District and local businesses.
Reasons to Join
- Can earn an AA degree from SJRSC while still in high school (over a $6,000 savings in tuition).
- Participate in job shadowing, internships and senior externships.
- Develop leadership, communication and organizational skills.
- Participate in a rigorous and a meaningful program of study.
- Ability to sign an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with St. Johns County School District – This MOU will enable you to start work at a higher salary level than other first year teachers, if you are hired to teach in St. Johns County School District.
- Free membership in Florida Future Educators of America with opportunities for after-school activities, state competitions, and a great resume booster!